Well, that picture just says it all.
But haven’t you heard of this? A “Done” list, rather than a “To Do” list. The whole idea was music to my ears. It’s a nice solution to the end of a long day when you’re perhaps feeling overwhelmed, and unproductive. Maybe you call it a Done list, maybe you call it a Work Log of Your Completed Tasks. But if you need a boost, call it something, and jot down all the actions you’ve taken in a day, and sit back with a sense of accomplishment. (And don’t worry about all the things that didn’t get crossed off that other list).
I’ll go first.
- Made breakfast
- Cleaned up breakfast.
- Got Boy One off to school.
- Cleaned up 4 kid messes before 8:30.
- Changed their pants.
- Changed their shirts.
- Changed my shirt.
- Changed my pants.
- Took one kid back up to his room so he could simmer down from his madness.
- Went to my room with my coffee for a few minutes so I could simmer down from my madness.
- Started over.
- Helped out a smidge at my son’s school while my husband took the younger boys on errands.
- Cleaned some house.
- Did some laundry.
- Worked on freelance work.
- Attacked my email inbox.
- Contacted a site owner who had stolen work from the site I edit, and passed it off as a guest post. (Nice try, chick).
- Prayed for her.
- Celebrated with the family Boy One’s last day of school.
- Took the kids to a bookstore.
- Lost Boy Two in the bookstore.
- Found Boy Two in the bookstore.
- Reminded Boy Two (and Boy One and Boy Three) that when he is lost, he is to stay put, and I’ll come find him. Really, I will.
- Had some fries, a chicken sandwich, and a Coke – all in the same evening. Regretted that.
- Shared an ice cream cone with my son. Didn’t regret that.
- With my husband, watched the boys play outside together.
- Cleaned up the kitchen.
- Did another load of laundry.
- Wrote this post.
As I look around me, there’s still random socks, stacks of papers here and there, and sticky notes with Things To Do – but this feels pretty good. What did you do today?